| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Radar   » Public Discussion of Marine Radar   » Summary for Stern Targets Question

Author Topic: Summary for Stern Targets Question
TomD

- posted May 28, 2009 09:51 AM      Profile for TomD           Edit/Delete Post 
Page 78 (RADAR for Mariners of course) the summary for stern targets states; "(parallel motion, up the heading line, anywhere on the radar screen) Regardless of their wake lengths, they are moving faster than you and on the same course. If astern they are overtaking you, otherwise they are passing on the same course. Their true speeds are your speed plus their SRM."

My question is; viewing figure 6-9 (page 80, target E is is overtaking me even though it's trail length is less than my buoy trail, is this correct? I'm testing my understanding of stern targets.

Larry Brandt

- posted May 28, 2009 09:58 AM      Profile for Larry Brandt           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that is correct.

Sometimes it helps to visualize the situation as if you were in daylight and clear weather. Imagine you're standing at the helm and you look back at a vessel that is barely gaining on you. That vessel is overtaking you, and it's speed is only slighly faster than your speed. On the radar, it's buoy trail would be quite short.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation