| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Chat Room   » All Courses Chat Room   » Hi Everyone!

Author Topic: Hi Everyone!
David Willard

- posted July 02, 2003 08:09 AM      Profile for David Willard           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello from "Montana!" There are times when it 'hurts' to be landlocked!!! Back in the late 80's I owned a Pacific Seacraft 'Flicka' which was sailed out of Dana Point, CA. Back then I was dreaming of sailing to Hawaii via Mexico. Sadly, this dream never came to be realized, something I will regret to my last days. Back then I taught myself cel nav from a text called, "Sail by the Sun & Stars: A Practical Workbook in Celestial Navigation" by Walter E. Gleckler, Him Hollywood, and Neal T. Walker. Just out of curiosity, has anyone come across this particular text? I am quite sure it is now out of print, however, I still have it in my possession. I'm really enjoying re-learning cel nav with Starpath, but honestly, I've found 'Sail by the Sun & Stars' and easier task! (Sorry Mr. Burch!). I am, in fact, using this old text to help me through the course with Starpath. Why am I even bothering to do this? Call it an old love I wished to re-visit!!! It "is" fun!!!!! Hope to hear back from all of you.

David Willard

David Burch

- posted July 02, 2003 03:14 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the course. quite a nice recommendation for a book. I will definitely look for a copy. It is always good to learn of new materials.

Could you please be more specific and state which part of our materials were not clear to you that you found better explained in the reference you mentioned. I will then address the issue immediately.

In the meantime, I want to remind all of our students that more than 20,000 students (ranging in age from 16 to 80) have learned celestial navigation from our materials, and thousands have sailed the world's oceans safely and efficiently based on that knowledge.

If any questions should ever arise, we hope that every one knows that it is a simple matter of posting the question to get an answer. We promise the answer will be sound and to the point and that at the end of this course you will be doing cel nav on an expert level.

--david

David Burch

- posted July 02, 2003 04:32 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,

i have found a copy of the book online, but it might be just that, a copy. Can you please tell me the date of printing and number of pages and the type of binding of your edition. what i have found is in a 3-ring binder. thanks

i will then get the book and study it. we are always trying to learn the best way to explain things and new leads are very helpful.

thanks again.

--david

David Willard

- posted July 02, 2003 05:16 PM      Profile for David Willard           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David...

Copyright of "Sail by the Sun & Stars" is 1980, firtst Printing being in Aug., 1980. Second Printing was in Jan., 1982; Third Printing was in Aug., 1983. The volume is in two parts: Book I: Sail by the Sun; Book II: Sail by the Stars. There are a total of 189 pages not counting the appendices to Book II.
I've found that the explanations of plotting and the gathering of information from both the Nautical Almanac and Pub. 249 clearer and easier to follow in the above referenced text. The forms utilized in compiling the information are somewhat easier too. These are only "my" opinions, no doubt influenced by my use of the materials in the mid-80's. I am "not" denegrating the material as presented by Starpath. In fact, the knowledge imparted by the Starpath methodology is much more in depth. I am just one of those "simpletons" who prefers a "simpler" learning experience!!!

David Willard

David Willard

- posted July 02, 2003 05:20 PM      Profile for David Willard           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again David...

Oops! Forgot about the binding. The text is indeed meant for a 3-ring binder. You have definitely found the correct textbook!!!!

David Willard

David Burch

- posted July 03, 2003 04:06 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, i have the sections to look for:

"explanations of plotting and the gathering of information from both the Nautical Almanac and Pub. 249 clearer and easier to follow in the above referenced text."

as soon as i get the book i will see if we can learn something here. thanks again for the lead.

"The forms utilized in compiling the information are somewhat easier too."

our forms are specifically designed to let all sights be reduced in a very parallel manner, especially the moon which has the most steps. In that regard, the value of our forms are better evaluated after all types of sights have been completed. i hope they will prove to meet that need and design criteria once you have a chance to review moon, planet, and stars.

of course, again, as you mention, these things are all a personal choice to large extent. the same scheme will not be equally appealing to all temperaments.

my goal is simple, though, i want to try to do the very best we can for the largest audience, so i am naturally curious about all options available. i have ordered the book and look forward to seeing it.

thanks again. it is one of the great virtues of this online course format that we get this good discussion and shared experiences from around the globe.

It is without doubt true that individual questions and issues get much more direct attention in the online course than they do in our own classrooom courses. in the classroom course there is simply not time for some interesting details.

--david

s/v salvor111

- posted November 21, 2008 07:13 PM      Profile for s/v salvor111           Edit/Delete Post 
greetings David. I am working to find that book too.
I looked for two years for a course in cel nav before I settled on starpath! the reason I took on the home study course, is the navigators I have meet in the pacific ocean all where of the star path school, they clearly knew what they where doing.I am a retired HVAC engineer and commerical hard hat diver, I have sailed many miles by GPS,great circle currents.But I am building a larger boat, have a family on board.long story short. I am having trouble following the methodology of section three,it look so simple at first glance, I have read the section four times and still can not hold the basic's therein. I am not sure what questions too ask. perhaps the starpath school will gain some knowledge in presenting the material in a matter that is more linear to a new mind to the field of cel nav. with that said. I am sure there are schools with a more complex math and material

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation