| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Chat Room   » All Courses Chat Room   » TrinTec Hybrid Barometers

Author Topic: TrinTec Hybrid Barometers
Curtis

- posted March 04, 2011 07:17 PM      Profile for Curtis           Edit/Delete Post 
Considering upgrading barometers. Not willing to spring for a Fischer, but have been looking at TrinTec "hybrid" barometers. They have a digital mechanism that is coupled to an analog display. Sounds like a good idea and a quality product at a competitive price.

Anyone have any experience/opinions on these?

Thanks,

Curtis

David Burch

- posted March 04, 2011 07:52 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we have experience with these.

That is a good choice and it will almost certainly be reliable over a broad range, once set to the proper pressure near the center of mid range.

It almost seems a natural step, rather like using quartz clocks with analog dial, which almost every one uses daily.

The only uncertainly is how will any mass produced electronic device behave 10 years from now in a mariner environment? Trintec products are generally well made, so that is in their favor in this regard.

On the other hand, we use laptops at sea and we know for sure that they will not last.... in fact, they don't last very long at home.

But to defend the investment in The Fischer Precision Aneroids, which may be of value to some reading this without the background you have, they have been at sea for 70 years and there is no other barometer as accurate over such a broad range as they are (electronic or mechanical), which is why they are the choice of the NWS and Navy.

Again, the short answer is yes, that is a good choice.

Curtis

- posted March 05, 2011 06:19 AM      Profile for Curtis           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info.

A downside to the electronic version of course is that it has to have power. I prefer the idea of a mechanical device (despite all the electronics currently on my boat), but for half the price of a Fischer I can buy a couple of TrinTecs and stow one as a backup.

Thanks.

David Burch

- posted March 05, 2011 09:42 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
I can check this, but believe they will run for 3 or more years on one lithium battery. we are in touch with this company routinely and i can check for you. we are also considering making a dial for them.
Curtis

- posted March 06, 2011 06:11 AM      Profile for Curtis           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I have an inquiry into them as well.

If it is such a long time then that certainly reduces one other advantage of a mechanical baro.

Any special features planned for the StarPath dial?

Kenn Batt

- posted March 06, 2011 04:58 PM      Profile for Kenn Batt           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with David. I have a Fisher along with other mechanical and electronic barometers and swear by it. It's deadly accurate, it beats the other hands down.
Cheers

David Burch

- posted March 07, 2011 11:34 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
special features.... yes, trying. But not sure yet if we can figure out how to accomplish what we have in mind. (ways to read more accurately and ways to mark the time used when the marker hand was set... all bonus, not really required.)
Curtis

- posted March 08, 2011 05:09 AM      Profile for Curtis           Edit/Delete Post 
Well of course an all digital display could do that, but I still prefer the analog display. Maybe a "hybrid" display also...analog dial with digital window. (I used to have an all digital watch with an analog display implemented via LCD...).
David Burch

- posted March 09, 2011 09:36 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
i agree that the analog display is best for this unit and there is no plan to change that. but there are ways to make it easier to read the dial and there are ways to record what time you set the marker dial.... check out the Yanagi model in the book.... but i am not sure we cannot come up with an add on feature to do this that could be applied to any barometer.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation