| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Chat Room   » All Courses Chat Room   » South Pacific Cruise

Author Topic: South Pacific Cruise
drlmk

- posted February 27, 2007 04:37 PM      Profile for drlmk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll put a post here, just in case anyone wants to follow up a bit on the South Pacific cruise we were discussiong under "Index Error" in the Celestial Navigation General Discussion area. We did sort of meander off topic, once the basic question was answered.

Anyhow, details on the ship and some info on the cruise can be found at http://www.sea.edu. The ship usually does "semester at sea," but for this cruise, they took on a bunch of grown-ups. We had a blast and the celestial navigation was a fun side-project for me. An added bonus was that it was easy to check the correct answer to the navigation problem by just looking at the ship's GPS.

In the sprit of full disclosure, I am usually a lake sailor. I sail a 40-foot ketch, Ta'Ata Ori (Tahitian for "wanderer") on Lake Pend Oreille in northern Idaho. One big motivation for going on the Pacific cruise was to visit some of the places my boat had sailed before I bought her. Ta'Ata Ori can be found at http://www.marineryachts.com/owners/TaAtaOri/index.htm

I can now check off "sailing a square-rigged ship under the Southern Cross" from my life list.

Lawrence Killingsworth
In landlocked Spokane

Dwayne Clark

- posted February 27, 2007 07:12 PM      Profile for Dwayne Clark           Edit/Delete Post 
Now we are in the right spot...I did get carried away thinking of the Pacific. That's some neat stuff and looks like a beautiful sailing craft!!

Dwayne

Dwayne Clark

- posted February 27, 2007 07:14 PM      Profile for Dwayne Clark           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...I just looked at your boat... she too is beautiful!!

Dwayne

Dwayne Clark

- posted February 28, 2007 08:22 AM      Profile for Dwayne Clark           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the Seamans now..:

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=WDA4486

Dwayne

drlmk

- posted February 28, 2007 09:44 AM      Profile for drlmk           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I like that website! I've been tracking her via the sea.edu site. She's headed for Hawaii.

Thanks to StarPath for their generosity in letting us use this space to go on about a non-navigation topic, but perhaps we should clear the decks.

Feel free to contact me directly at [email protected], if you would like to continue.

-- lmk

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation