| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Chat Room   » All Courses Chat Room   » Sailing discussion from General Cel Nav section

Author Topic: Sailing discussion from General Cel Nav section
drlmk

- posted February 23, 2007 04:43 PM      Profile for drlmk           Edit/Delete Post 
the following is part of our conversation from another section that we have moved here to carry on with...
Dwayne Clark

- posted February 27, 2007 07:14 AM      Profile for Dwayne Clark           Edit/Delete Post 
drlmk

Other than the IC issues do you like the Astra IIIb?

I know that is the sextant that David recommends and I have read good reviews elsewhere. I don't own one yet.

Sounds like you are doing great celestial to me!

Dwayne

drlmk

- posted February 27, 2007 11:31 AM      Profile for drlmk           Edit/Delete Post 
I would say the Astra IIIB is an excellent value. As someone just getting started in celestial navigation, I didn't want to spend $1500 plus on a top-of-the-line model and -- on the other end of the price scale -- I was not impressed with plastic sextants.

You can certainly tell the scale on the Astra IIIB is not as finely marked as the high-end instruments, also, not as hefty, but it seems to work just fine. I figure any uncertainty in a fix is probably more likely a function of the technique and proficiency of the navigator than the instrument itself.

All in all, a good value. And why spend 1500 bucks on a sextant when you can get a darn good GPS unit for that price.

Avast, ahoy and all that,

-- lmk

Dwayne Clark

- posted February 27, 2007 12:44 PM      Profile for Dwayne Clark           Edit/Delete Post 
dr lmk and starpath...

Thanks for the feedback!!

drlmk...out of curiosity do you mind saying where you cruising in the South Pacific??

Thanks again,

Dwayne

drlmk

- posted February 27, 2007 01:21 PM      Profile for drlmk           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy to tell my Tale of the South Pacific. Out of Tahiti on a 135-foot brigantine, the Robert C. Seamans, over to Moorea, then up to Rangiroa Atoll in the Tuamotu Archipelago, then back to Moorea and Tahiti. I have about 500 pictures and videos, if you have time for the full 6-hour presentation. I find that folks get a bit squirmy after about 4 hours, so I have to tighten the knots. The cruise was a wonderful experience, except maybe for having to dodge tropical cyclone Zita. For more information, you can check out http://www.sea.edu. The ship is currently at Nuku Hiva, in the Marqueses.
-- lmk

Dwayne Clark

- posted February 27, 2007 02:39 PM      Profile for Dwayne Clark           Edit/Delete Post 
drlmk

I will check out the site. I am envious!! Many moons ago I was a Coastie stationed in Hilo Hawaii. We took a 95 ft cutter (an old one) to Midway. I will never forget that trip or the sights in the Pacific!! I want to go back badly...maybe use some of this celestial stuff!!
I would love to see the pics!!

Dwayne

Dwayne Clark

- posted February 28, 2007 07:00 AM      Profile for Dwayne Clark           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok..thanks.

Dwayne

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation