| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Chat Room   » All Courses Chat Room   » Hello from the San Francisco Bay area

Author Topic: Hello from the San Francisco Bay area
Bill Fallin

- posted February 13, 2004 12:48 PM      Profile for  Bill Fallin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi classmates and David,

I just retired after 30 years in customer service in computers. Most of this was in back room support, where we took on tough problems. HP was my last employer.

I love astronomy and celestial navigation. When finished with this course plan on taking more modern navigation methods, and hopefully get a chance to use all this at sea somehow. My brother works for NOAA, and goes to sea charting all sorts of things. I think he envied my job, but it is really I who wish I had a job like his.

billf

Bill Brucato

- posted February 14, 2004 07:38 AM      Profile for Bill Brucato           Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, Welcome aboard. I'm a professional mariner since 1973. And I can honestly say I've got the job I've always wanted.
I started with my Dad here on the East coast right out of high school. I've worked my way "up the hawsepipe" to my present position as captain on a coastal tug/barge unit.
This course will put the final feather in the cap of my licensing endeavors over the years.
I just wanted to say hi and offer what I could. I've worked through the course material and I'm now focusing on my exam studies(USCG and ho229 based)
If I can be of any assistance, let me know.
I ask David a lot of questions, I'm not shy. Most of them are related to things I'll need for my exams, but I think they give a deeper understanding of the process.
I've practiced with sextant sights at sea and find that the issue of a steady platform is not so important. I can settle the sight on the horizon without too much difficulty. The biggest problem I run into is adjusting the sextant for error prior to each use. It is absolutely necessary to adjust the device each and every time you take it out of the box. (I own a Davis Mk15.) On top of that, get used to the regimen of taking the sight. Before you do any sights, adjust the sextant, check your watch error, find ie., etc. Then take your sight, mark the time then look at the reading. I can't tell you how much time I wasted getting this into my head.
Anyway, good luck.
Bill B

Bill Fallin

- posted February 20, 2004 06:16 PM      Profile for  Bill Fallin           Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

Thanks for the wonderful reply. Best of luck in your exams.

billf

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation