| my account | login-logout | resources | tech support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Electronic Chart Navigation   » Public Discussion of Electronic Navigation   » New course on electronic chart navigation

Author Topic: New course on electronic chart navigation
David Burch

- posted January 17, 2022 01:02 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
We will announce our new course on Electronic Chart Navigation in the next month or so. It will use our textbook Introduction to Electronic Chart Navigation and the navigation and weather program called qtVlm.

We have a growing YouTube playlist on the use of this program if you care to look ahead. We will also be using qtVlm in our Marine Weather course as well. In our Inland and Coastal Navigation Course we use a different program for electronic charting called OpenCPN.

We also have a growing Cheat Sheet at www.starpath.com/qtVlm on mission oriented help for qtVlm.

David Reid

- posted August 23, 2022 05:09 PM      Profile for David Reid           Edit/Delete Post 
Just submitted Certification Test and saving up Section 11 for a rainy day.

Have done the full series of RYA Courses from Elementary to Ocean (celestial) Navigation.
The RYA courses give a very good grounding on Navigation with paper charts with very little exposure to Electronic via the RYA Training Chart Plotter.

This course has introduced me to the information contained in the background of ENC charts plus the GRIB files which I basically learnt about in your Weather course.

Must say that the cursor pick functionality is really fantastic for route planning and setting up Nav running sheet.

I have since gone back to my collection of ECS systems and find the cursor pick is available on
RYA Training Chart Plotter, Navionics, Timezero, OpenCPN to some extent. Obviously they all conform to some of the S52 standards.

I settled on Timezero as it worked for MFD (Furuno) and PC for planning.

The other thing that I gained from the course is the importance of a good Internet connection on the yacht.

Thanks for a great course.

David

David Burch

- posted August 23, 2022 05:54 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your kind words about the course. And we thank you for your participation in this one and other Starpath courses. You have made valuable contributions to them and motivated several examples of expanded coverages.

As for the internet underway, we second that. Have you looked into the StarLink RV option? It is about $130/month but you get over 200 Mbps while underway out to as far as 200 nmi off shore, according to some reports. I know that it works well at half that distance off. This is certainly a game changer.

When you do follow up with the routing sections in Lesson 11 remind us that you use TimeZero and we can do examples with that program as well and be sure that polars are all working ok and so on. It is a very good program in several respects.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation