| my account | login-logout | resources | tech support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Electronic Chart Navigation   » Public Discussion of Electronic Navigation   » Chapter 3 quiz questions

Author Topic: Chapter 3 quiz questions
MarkC

- posted October 05, 2022 12:06 PM      Profile for MarkC           Edit/Delete Post 
I got a number of questions wrong on this quiz, and would like to clarify the mistakes.

Question 14 - There was a problem with clarity on this question. We are asked to look for Glen Cove, then two mooring buoys near it, then four objects "nearby". Nearby what? Glen Cove? The mooring buoys (which are on the other side of the inlet)? There are lots of objects on the chart, all in close proximity. I chose to look near the mooring buoys, where the closest objects were two underwater rocks, an obstruction, and the park buoy, but this was the wrong answer.

Question 16 I checked the NOAA tide table, which showed that on the date in question there was a minus tide of four feet at 12 noon, which should have been the right answer, but was marked wrong.

Question 19 - I used a mark to search for the position, and the light north of it was Brothers Island Light, which is red, but this was marked wrong.

Question 20 - I found the answer to this by simply doing a cursor pick on named lighthouses. The lighthouse object included an attribute called Object Name which gave the name of the lighthouse, so I don't know why I got this wrong.

Thank you.

David Burch

- posted October 05, 2022 02:30 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
#16 was due to a mix up of local time and UTC. This is something we need to stay on top of for coastal navigation. Plus a note you can get the tide and current data from within qtVlm. We do not need to go to the NOAA data for this. Much faster with the program.

Started to answer here with a post to explain #19 GP03-0019.png but then realized we should be in the Student Discussion forum, so I will move the post there where can carry on with the discussion.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation