| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Marine Weather   » Public Discussion of Marine Weather   » Quiz WX0203 and WX0204

Author Topic: Quiz WX0203 and WX0204
bobsamson

- posted February 24, 2011 06:55 AM      Profile for bobsamson           Edit/Delete Post 
I will take you up on your offer to drop this quiz. I must have been asleep at the switch.

Also, I am working through quiz WX0204. What is the best way to plot a parrell line to the Isobar. It appears very subjective and can make a difference of several degrees.

Thoughts

Bob

Larry Brandt

- posted February 24, 2011 01:47 PM      Profile for Larry Brandt           Edit/Delete Post 
Your WX0203 has been discarded. You may now retake it at your convenience.

Note: In future you might want to post these messages on the Student Discussion Forum instead of this one. (In fact, I will move this message to that Forum in a few days so that it is filed consistent with others of its kind.)

Plotting a parallel line on the weather chart is a bit subjective, as rarely are the isobars straight. It does take an 'eye'. But we're not interested in minute degrees here; so slight misalignments should not be of concern.

David Burch

- posted February 24, 2011 03:57 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Often we need to sketch in an isobar parallel to another when the isobar is not a straight line.

One way to do that is to use a compass then just drag the needle-end along the isobar and let the pencil-end draw out the new line at the distance off you desire... or just sketch in by eye, which is often good enough.

More often, you might need to draw in an intermediate isobar between two that are not parallel. Then just make a tick mark half way between the two every so often, then connect the dots to get the new midway line that is then in a sense "parallel" to the other two, which are not even parallel to each other.

David Burch

- posted February 24, 2011 08:49 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
discussion moved to classroom.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation