| my account | login-logout | resources | tech support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Electronic Chart Navigation   » Public Discussion of Electronic Navigation   » QTVLM Charts for Mediterranean

Author Topic: QTVLM Charts for Mediterranean
Gnarley

- posted November 15, 2022 10:23 AM      Profile for Gnarley           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

Where is the best place to get charts for QTVLM?

Are there free charts AND paid charts for most regions - and what are the differences? (I am happy to read more on this but haven't found a clear source for this info)

I am specifically looking for the French Mediterranean where I am practicing my weather routing but for some reason I just can figure out how to download charts into QTVLM.

Massive thanks in advance.

Chris

Dave Wilkinson

- posted November 15, 2022 11:00 AM      Profile for Dave Wilkinson           Edit/Delete Post 
A good start would be to review the video Finding Available International Charts found in the qtVlm playlist here https://www.youtube.com/user/StarpathNav/playlists. Note there are more videos on how to download and manage charts in qtVlm.

The video refers to a more in-depth article on S-63 Encrypted International Charts found here https://davidburchnavigation.blogspot.com/search?q=s-63

David Burch

- posted November 15, 2022 03:31 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
You might be interested in our online course on echart nav, which spends much time on the effective use of qtVlm. See

https://www.starpath.com/catalog/courses/1926.htm

David Reid

- posted December 07, 2023 06:40 PM      Profile for David Reid           Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the licence management under the QTVLM menu option.

The Meltemus website now has access to charts which can be loaded into QTVLM. Mainly seems to be Europe etc but the French Med chart collection is available.

Price is quite competitive with the Hydrographic office S63 and as far as I can see the charts have all the S63 Standards.

David Reid

- posted December 07, 2023 06:49 PM      Profile for David Reid           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been following the debate on Paper Charts versus Electronic Charts on various sites such as RYA and Visit My Harbour.
There definitely seems to be a very British bias against electronic charts. Some of the statements made are so ridiculous I have cancelled my RYA membership as it appears the RYA (Note ROYAL) feels that us yachties in the antipodes (Australia) are undeserving of any consideration.

Visit My Harbour is also so biased towards paper charts that I have disconnected my USB stick versions of charts from them.

Have any of these experts juggled paper charts when piloting in windy or rainy conditions?

David Burch

- posted December 08, 2023 01:28 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for these observations. You are correct to doubt them.

This behavior of UKHO, RYA, and VMH is all purely monetary.

In fact, early this year the UKHO announced that they were going to discontinue all paper charts in lieu of ENC, pointing out all the right reasons to do so, and noting that this is in keeping with several other maritime nations, now underway with that program.

Then about 3 months later, someone must have pointed out how much money they make from paper charts, and they said they were canceling that idea, altogether!

So they can all putz around as much as they want on this, but in the US right now, 60% of all paper charts that existed in 2019 are gone forever, replaced by hundreds of ENC. In many places now the only official chart of the area is a NOAA ENC, and this will be true for all US waters at the end of 2024.

And this is a good time for a shoutout to your neighbors New Zealand, who are the only nation other than the US to make all of their ENC free to the public.

David Burch

- posted December 08, 2023 01:29 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
I will make a copy of this discussion in our ENC course mentioned above.

Thanks again.

David Reid

- posted December 10, 2023 03:15 PM      Profile for David Reid           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the NZ ENCs being free allowed me to experiment with their loading into QTVLM on computer, ipad and iphone until I finally got it to work.

Your videos on your blog also were a great guide.

Will you be doing a coverage of the use of the License Management method on QTVLM?

It is also interesting to see the alternative method used for NOAA charts, pity the inland charts do not get the same treatment.

Also have experimented my way through with the OpenCPM application.

I am tempted to take my laptop on my next RYA Course and use one of the evenings to introduce the other students to the concepts of S52, S57 and S63. On my Day Skipper course they used an entire morning on updating paper charts from Notices to Mariners. I now have a full box of Magenta correction pens ready to update paper charts.

David Burch

- posted December 10, 2023 06:04 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
We have videos on S-63 in qtVlm. Do you refer to setting up the Meltemus charts?

I have bought and loaded several sets, so we could do that, but I recall it was very easy.

David Reid

- posted December 19, 2023 05:17 PM      Profile for David Reid           Edit/Delete Post 
I have worked through all your S63 videos for QTVLM and OpenCPN.

Yes I was referring to the Meltemus License Charts in QTVLM. As it is easy it might make sense to do one video on Meltemus Charts and the Charts menu for the NOAA install and updates. Pity the Inland charts are not covered in that menu and require download and install through the regular configuration dialogue.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation